Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"Hills Like White Elephants"

When I was first reading this story I was confused as to what kind of operation the main characters were discussing, but when he said it was ultimately Jig’s decision and referred to a third party, “But I don’t want anybody but you. I don’t want anyone else. And I know it’s perfectly simple,” it dawned on me that they were discussing an abortion. I don’t think these characters understand the severity of the operation and how it will affect their relationship. Currently, the man is trying to convince the girl that an abortion is the logical decision and is extremely simple. He keeps blaming all of their unhappiness with one another on her pregnancy and convinces her that having an abortion will fix their relationship issues. The girl is hesitant towards the operation and obviously wants to keep the child. However, she is willing to have the abortion to please him and keep him in her life. I think she feels there are only two options: to have the child and potentially lose her partner, or to have the abortion and keep the man around. I don’t think the characters considered the possible resentment of having the abortion. The operation has been pushed by the man and could cause regret and backlash after its completion if the woman does not fully support the operation. This operation could actually create more unhappiness in their relationship than be the cure for their current grief.

When reading this short story I wish I could have had more information into the character’s personal thoughts. I think this would have created a more dynamic understanding of the argument and helped me, as a reader, to fully understand both of the characters motives. I think the man wants to have an abortion because he isn’t ready to change his lifestyle and she is willing to have the operation just to please him, but there are probably other contributing factors which would have been nice to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment